Loss, Parenthood

When I went to the clinic and then left again

May 26, 2012 | 18 Comments

I arrive at the clinic and feel the blood drain from my face. I want to be done with it, to feel relief and freedom, and I hate myself for it. Gaz has been agitated with me from the early morning, and to not feel his warm hands around me exacerbates how empty I feel.

This is the third time I’ve been to the clinic in the past month. I take my patient information form and try sitting in a different corner of the waiting room. I am crippled by terror and I make a desperate call to another clinic. - Please, I’m desperate, do you have any places today? - I’m sorry, I don’t think we do. – I’m already at the other clinic and I just can’t do it, help me. – Come in at 1 and we’ll see if we can squeeze you in.

I run from the clinic to Gaz, who is sitting on the ground next to my car with a cigarette. He is lit up like a bushfire. He doesn’t look at me. My phone rings. – Hello, we’ve had a cancellation. Can you come in now? – Yes.

The drive to Richmond is long and painful. Small talk cascades out of me like a swarm of cicadas, building a net around me to protect from anxieties – badly, as it turns out. He doesn’t look at me, doesn’t tell me it will be okay. He thought we had a plan. - It’s just a new plan. I want to get through this as much as you do. Maybe more. Of course I don’t. Take me home. Someone. Quickly.

The girls at reception put me at ease. They are young and relaxed and I relate to them. We crack jokes. There are women crying in the waiting room, and I am devastated to discover that it takes me a few seconds to realise why.

I am determined not to be overcome by emotion – if I fall to pieces now I will surely fail. I talk as though I’m a puppet. Every thought I’ve ever had shoots out at Gaz. I am talking so I forget where I am.

The nurse who sees me is friendly and reminds me of an aunt I never actually had. She explains how it works. I’ve heard it three times in as many weeks but I nod and smile. She uses a fat yellow highlighter to scribble all over “LOCAL ANAESTHETIC ONLY”, “ANXIETY & DEPRESSION” and “DRUG INDUCED PSYCHOSIS”. My life’s mistakes look up from the paper and laugh at me.

The doctor sees me and gives me something horrible to drink. I go to a different waiting room while Gaz moves the car. When he comes back he thinks he has lost me, and he has relief on his face when he realises he hasn’t. Another nurse comes. - She’ll be an hour and a half, you may as well go and get something to eat.

I am in a tiny room with no pants on. The gown is warm and for a moment I think about being a little girl in pyjamas from the dryer. The anaesthetist comes in. - Please only local anaesthetic. Please. – Well, okay, but most people change their mind part way through. – I won’t. I’m sure.

The operating theatre is very white. I’m on a table. My legs are wrapped up in stirrups and my knees are in my face. Antiseptic like frozen orange cordial is poured in places in never should be. The doctor explains what he’s doing to my cervix. He tells me I’ll “feel a tiny prick” and I laugh inappropriately. The needle hurts. Adrenalin from the shot rushes through my body and I take a huge gulp of air and try not to be a wuss. Two more shots and the doctor starts scraping out my baby. It hurts. It really hurts. It hurts in my uterus and in my heart and it hurts more because my mum isn’t there with me.

The doctor tells me there will be 15 seconds of suction and I don’t even hear it before I’m in a recovery room. I laugh with the nurses and they call me Local Anaesthetic Girl. I have some Milo and am reminded of how much I hated it on camp, when they made it with hot water. I eat a biscuit. I have a bruise where the doctor took my blood. I read my book. I send SMSes to Gaz. I do everything except think about my dead baby.

Then I leave. Gaz stops me at the front gate and hugs me for a very long time like he does when he’s feeling sad and relieved. He drives me home. I can’t stop talking. I tell him all about the procedure at least twice. If I stop, I will die. So I keep talking.

At home I hug my girls, lie down and cry.

Pinterest
Leave a comment | 18 comments

You Might Also Like

• Reply Deb @ Bright and Precious May 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Speechless at your ability to tell your private and heartbreaking story so powerfully. x

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan May 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Oh Deb, if I keep it inside it will eat me to death. Thank you x
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Here I am all singing again and shitMy Profile

• Reply bigwords May 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm

It’s the matter of fact way they talk of suctions that I will never forget.

You write with your soul pouring through your fingers. I wish I could reach out and hold you xx
    bigwords recently posted..The Week of Woe Is MeMy Profile

• Reply Carly Findlay May 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

oh Anna. I don’t know what to say other than much love xx

• Reply Lina May 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Aw, Anni. Carly said exactly what my brain was thinking, before I even saw what she said. Great big hugs from me to you, beautiful girl.

• Reply Kim-Marie May 29, 2012 at 6:30 pm

I followed a Twitter retweet and found your post. I have no words except to tell you I have re-read this post and have cried, yearned and ached. Much love (from someone you’ve never met).
    Kim-Marie recently posted..Let’s Write : How Do You Relax?My Profile

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan June 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Thank you Kim-Marie. Sorry about the crying.
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Mummy bloggers – more bullied than the rest of us?My Profile

• Reply Link Love Kimba Likes May 30, 2012 at 8:22 am

[...] either category, but I was so moved by it, I had to put it in.  Anna who tweets and blogs wrote this post which just made my heart ache, my eyes stream and my arms yearn to hold my [...]

• Reply Renata Victal June 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I can’t figure out how are you felling about it. You are brave and strong. I hope all this pain ends. xx, Renata
    Renata Victal recently posted..Love? Amei o texto. Amei a edição.My Profile

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan June 5, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Thanks Renata, you’re a love! x

• Reply anon June 11, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I’m just wondering was this for the miscarriage, or the abortion(s)?
    Be lovely if you can clear this up for your avid readers.

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan June 11, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I miscarried naturally, as I’ve written in the past. This post is clearly about abortion, and was harrowing enough without having the knife driven in, as I’m sure you can appreciate.

I’m not sure who the readers gagging to have it cleared up are, but hopefully this will assist in your peace of mind.
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Who I’m not (anymore)My Profile

• Reply anon June 11, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yes thank you, it wasn’t very clear to me that it was about abortion, as I have never had to endure one. Maybe I did not read far enough back in your journal. Was not putting the knife in I apologise if that’s how you percieved it. I was simply wanting to clarify it for myself because as a new but regular reader I was starting to lose faith in your wonderful storytelling when I did not feel that the facts matched up. I agree, a very harrowing experience.

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan June 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Okay, thanks for clarifying and for reading. Anonymity always throws up red flags. Everything I write is factually accurate, however unfortunate and however dreadful a person that makes me.

• Reply anon June 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Doesn’t make you dreadful at all. I have read all the way back which I should have done in the first place. Sorry if I made you feel like a bad person. I stay anonymous because of my own bad experiences of giving my opinions and stories on comments on the internet in the past, haters really affect me to the point where I stop sharing completely and that is not good for me. I hope you understand. I look forward to reading more.

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan June 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Okay, let’s high five :)
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Who I’m not (anymore)My Profile

• Reply onekind February 25, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Oh gosh Anna all the hugs! To you and an awkward manhug to Gaz.
    onekind recently posted..A big pharma gaffeMy Profile

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan February 25, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Gaz does love awkward manhugs :D