Writing

Pulitzers are just hope killers

December 1, 2012 | 12 Comments

In the immediate future, I will only be able to offer you brief summaries of what is going on in life. I read four Pulitzer-winning books this week and now everything I do is a waste of the internet, obviously. Tip: if you want to go on believing you’re good at something, don’t launch yourself into an intensive study of all the people who are much, much better at it than you are.

My fingers are covered in bandaids because I’ve been typing on my typewriter and what they don’t tell you about that is that your digits disappear between the keys, and because your immediate reaction is to pull them out again, the skin comes off. It seems fairly likely that had I lived in a time before computers, I would have done considerably less writing and a lot more bleeding.

I put my NaNo story on hiatus after I sat down at said typewriter and out came a man called Francis who went and got a job in a bread shop. It’s funny the way stories can just come at you from nowhere and you have to find out what they’re about, even if they turn out to be quite bad. I was even more surprised by this one because I’m not sure Francis would have ever come to my place if I hadn’t bought a typewriter. He is a typewriter character, not a computer character. When I write at my computer, the old story comes out in such a way that makes me think the lines are too close together.

For the non-typewriter writing, I bought a new iMac. I’d had my old one for four years and I am nothing if not a consumerist wench, so I bought a new one. To be honest, it’s not that much different from the old one, because from the front you can’t see how crazy thin it is anyway, but the people at the Apple Store were so excited to sell me their first one that they took my photo with the sales guy and the iMac in its box. Then I walked back to my car in the rain on my own, so I guess the fame was fleeting.

Pinterest
Leave a comment | 12 comments

You Might Also Like

• Reply Carly Findlay December 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I love this line:

“Sometimes my mum sends me text messages that just say, “I bought you a little present.” Eventually she gives me a book or a scarf, but the real present is that she thinks about me while she’s in her own space. There was a time when I didn’t think that would happen.”

When I hear/read that people are thinking of me, I feel most loved. Thank you again for another beautiful piece.

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan December 3, 2012 at 9:27 am

Thanks Carly :) I agree, I do too.
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Pulitzers are just hope killersMy Profile

• Reply mcgisht December 1, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the image you conjured of the art of using a typewriter, injuries and all. Most of all I LOVED the idea of the ‘present’ being the act of being thought of, of being ‘present’ in someone else’s life even when apart. Lovely Anna!

• Reply mumabulous December 3, 2012 at 8:47 am

Chances of me reading Pulitzer prize winners are buckleys and none right now. In a tug of war between literature and sleep, sleep will always emerge victorious. Infact you could substitute almost anything for the word literature in that sentence. I will happily continue to waste cyberspace in my own little corner of the interwebz.
    mumabulous recently posted..Hot In The CityMy Profile

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan December 3, 2012 at 9:30 am

hah! :D

Actually, literature is about the only thing for which I’ll sacrifice sleep. The reading itself has been wonderful, it’s just the quality of the writing that has got me down. I should go and read some trash to balance me out.

• Reply Carli December 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Well now I’m quite curious what the books were….
    Carli recently posted..Dear Weekend. Let’s break up.My Profile

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan December 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Oh, they were Olive Kitteridge (this was my main undoing), The Old Man and the Sea, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and The Road. Olive Kitteridge is what I want my writing to be – smart and moving but without saying it in words.
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Pulitzers are just hope killersMy Profile

• Reply amber December 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I really, really like this post. All of it.
    amber recently posted..one good snack: CCC power ballsMy Profile

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan December 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

xx
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Pulitzers are just hope killersMy Profile

• Reply Life In A Pink Fibro December 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I want to read about Francis at the bread shop. I do.
    Life In A Pink Fibro recently posted..What I read when I’m writingMy Profile

• Reply Anna Spargo-Ryan December 3, 2012 at 2:52 pm

And maybe you will! One day! Ten to fifteen centuries from now!
      Anna Spargo-Ryan recently posted..Pulitzers are just hope killersMy Profile