Some things that are good – Anna Spargo-Ryan

Some things that are good

Some things that are good

I don’t know about you, but I needed to write down some things I actually like for a minute, so I didn’t plummet into a kind of oblivion for which I’m not yet ready. So here are five things I like today.

1. We Were Liars.

16143347

This is the book I’m currently reading at school pickup time. Not to be confused with the book I’m reading at bedtime, which is A Man Called Ove. It is speedy and in all ways YA clever romance in the spirit of John Green, but that is just fine. It reminds me of times when I pushed my heart all the way into a teenage boy and knew, unequivocally, that it would definitely and absolutely stay right there. And the other times when I retrieved my heart and it was missing the bit at the top reserved for warm breath on my ear.

2. Avocado and feta mash.

tumblr_loifsf47E31qdei8m

At the boulangerie, which is a fancy word I use because I went to France once and read books in a claw-foot bath, they sell two kinds of baguette. You can buy a campagnard baguette, which is one made of bread, or a rustic baguette, which is also one made of bread but is $1.00 less than the other type of bread.

Choosing a good avocado is very important, and I do this by selecting the one that most resembles touching the end of my nose. Helpfully, this is also a good way to determine when you are not ovulating (when you are ovulating, your cervix will feel soft, like your bottom lip). You can also pick off the dried stem end and look for green underneath. Buy some feta from the fromagerie, which is another word you learn at private school, and then mash the two things together with a fork, paying careful attention to the smugness of your face.

Spread all up and down the baguette and top with a little lemon juice and some cracked pepper.

3. The David Attenborough DVDs in the Herald Sun.

Obviously the Herald Sun itself is terrible in all ways. But the kids and I sit down every evening now and watch the day’s DVD. We’ve learned about leopard seals and fungus that lives inside ants and the cartoon face of a horny bird of paradise. We push ourselves together on a couch designed for two and wrap one pink blanket all the way around. Our knees get cold, but our brains get full.

4. True Detective.

true-detective-harrelson-mcconaughey-610x348

We watched Parks and Recreation three times (fast forwarding the Ann/Tom thing, spoiler alert). Which was great, but it did mean that we missed watching True Detective at the same time as everyone else. Now, though! Now we are watching two episodes a night, which means we will be finished by the weekend. The writing is amazing. And I mean, everyone said that it was, but the words that come out of Matthew McConaughey are spellbinding.

5. Excellent people.

Gift_Aladdin

It will come as no surprise to you that there are people on the internet with big hearts and big brains, and that yesterday when we were all blanketed with sadness, they spoke thoughtfully and wrote insightfully.

And what can you even say about it, about the way the world crushes some of us? Stuff like this:

• Veggie Mama

August 14, 2014 at 9:36 am Reply

I AM OBSESSED WITH TRUE DETECTIVE AND I HAVEN’T WATCHED TV IN THE LONGEST TIME BUT WE WATCHED THE WHOLE SEASON AND NOW THERE IS A COLD EMPTY PLACE IN MY ALREADY COLD, EMPTY HEART.

And season two isn’t even going to be the same. I has the sad.

Russell Brand’s piece was genius, as usual. I hate/love him.

August 14, 2014 at 11:08 am Reply

We are only at episode six and I am already mourning the end of it! Have you watched Fargo? That is also brilliant drama that makes you want to throw out your TV at the end because how dare it be over?

I think Russell Brand is one of our finest living writers. I wish he would write more and be a cock less.

• Veggie Mama

August 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm Reply

Oh yah, I’ve seen it! Love it.

How different is Matthew McConaughey? I couldn’t get over it. So intense! So rad! And I think the ending of Episode 4? Utterly amazing. I was tearing my hair out!

I don’t mind Russell’s cockiness. I more hate him because he’s such a fucking talented writer he makes me want to puke. I’ll never be that good if I write until I die.

August 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm Reply

McConaughey is amazing! I am most amazed by the way he plays a godless man, given his overt and, frankly, terrifying devotion to God in real life.

I would be content to write one sentence that could stand next to Russell Brand’s sentences. He is a master craftsman. Like his fingers are connected directly to his chest cavity.

• Erin Marie

August 14, 2014 at 10:37 am Reply

It feels weird to be included on a list of writings by such amazing people.

Wonderful, but weird.

Thank you.

(Also, I’m totally having avocado and feta for lunch today, so thanks for that!!)

• Erin Marie

August 14, 2014 at 10:39 am Reply

P.S. Your Russell Brand link goes to Ben’s article. Just FYI.

• Maxabella

August 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm Reply

True Detective is now on my list. I was avoiding it due to the McConaughy factor (I can’t even spell his name he annoys me so much). Anyway, now I’m going to watch it.

Russell Brand is equally as annoying, but in a smarty-pants rather than a where’s-my-pants kind of way.

What you said about love is going to stay in my head forever.

x

• JodiGibson (@JFGibsonWriter)

August 14, 2014 at 10:31 pm Reply

I have heard such good things about True Detective. Can’t wait to watch it when I can get my hands on it (aka gifted legally from a friend).

And yes, brilliant words from amazing people.

August 21, 2014 at 11:20 am Reply

It is tremendous. We watched the last episode with our mouths hanging open and kind of just screaming and laughing in shock.

• lisa

August 18, 2014 at 1:36 pm Reply

I am not yet onto to the True Detective but I must watch it. So sad about Robin Williams-a true genius. I will have to remember the avocado-cervix connection for my dedicated midwifery patients. :) David Attenborough’s voice is so soothing xx PS Will you be sharing anymore #flashfiction prompts again? Selfishly I miss them xx

August 25, 2014 at 10:29 am Reply

I have eaten avocado and feta every day for two weeks! :D Can recommend.

I would love to keep doing writing prompts! I wasn’t sure if anyone was getting anything out of them. I’ll bring them back for spring.

Thanks Lisa x

• Pingback:Just Ace - The Veggie Mama

August 25, 2014 at 6:52 am Reply
  • Angus Pryor

August 30, 2014 at 10:34 pm Reply

definitely worth celebrating things that are good. From your slightly eclectic list, my favourite is probably the avocado and feta mash. It looks great